With a mandate of producing a diverse range of theatrical productions for Southern Albertan audiences, New West Theatre has brought to the stage American classics, Broadway musicals, contemporary Canadian theatre, Theatre for Young Audiences and original creations. In addition to our regular season we offer educational programming to young people through our Summer Theatre Camps, Theatre School and in-school residencies.
Annually we sell between 18,000 and 22,000 tickets to approximately 100 performances. Patrons attend from across the region and beyond. New West Theatre passionately supports local professionals and hires artists from Southern Alberta, as well as professionals from across the country.
Equity, Diversity & Inclusion
We acknowledge our privilege as a longstanding theatre company in Southern Alberta, and recognize that the stories and productions in our past have not fully represented the history of the land on which we create or the full tapestry of people who make it home.
As a company, we recognize the importance and influence of the stories we illuminate on our stages.
- We commit to growing into a company reflective of the diverse lived experiences in Lethbridge and Southern Alberta at every level from our board and staff to the artists who inspire us.
- We commit to identifying and then dismantling the oppressive power structures from which our organization has benefited.
- We recognize the important and ongoing responsibility to cultivate these commitments at every level of our company.
- We ask to be held accountable to this ongoing work with transparency and in dialogue with our community.
- We understand this work requires ongoing action and continual reflection. We commit to building an anti-racism and anti-oppression intersectional framework through training, paid consultation, internal analysis, an Equity, Diversity & Inclusion Committee, policy creation, and accountability throughout the entire organization. We are guided by the calls to action of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.
We are proud to be part of Southern Alberta’s vibrant performing arts community, and commit to working with our community and peers to exchange knowledge and build lasting systemic change at New West Theatre. We welcome and celebrate all voices, all bodies, and all experiences.
This is a living statement that has been crafted by New West Theatre’s Equity, Diversity, & Inclusion Committee, and is supported wholeheartedly by New West Theatre’s board of directors. It was last updated on May 25, 2022.
Mandate, Vision, Mission & Values
To provide Southern Alberta with broad-based and diverse program of professional quality theatrical performances and education which nurture the development of theatre appreciation
By understanding the cultural needs of Southern Alberta we will provide quality, sustainable theatre programming that engages and challenges our audiences and artists.
To engage a wide range of audiences through vibrant and diverse theatre productions and activities that connect Southern Alberta experiences with a larger artistic community
New West Theatre aims to:
Be a leader in the production of professional theatre in the Southern Alberta region
Participate in the vitality of Canadian Theatre
Contribute to the dynamism of the Lethbridge community by offering vibrant cultural experiences for audiences, and by generating sustainable opportunities for artists
1002 – 4 Ave South